Friends of the Earth Malta (FoEM) is looking for a Communication and Campaigning Volunteer as part of our communications team. This is a European Solidarity Corp (ERASMUS+/ESC) volunteering for 3-4 months, ideally starting from January 2024 / February 2024, although this can be negotiable. You will be working in collaboration with the FoE Malta team and will be line managed by the Communications Coordinator and Gardener. Travel and accommodation costs will be reimbursed as part of the ESC programme.
FoEM is involved in various projects and campaigns which require support with their communications and events organising. The volunteer will be involved in FoEM team across our FAB, Climate and Comino campaign with a particular focus on our Community Garden. The chosen volunteer will be able to grow their interest and expertise in the field of events organisation and gardening. FoEM will offer the volunteer a unique opportunity to carry on an innovative set of tasks, allowing the volunteer to share their creativity and experience.
You will be responsible for achieving the goals set for the duration of 3-4 months as part of our team, together with other staff members and volunteers. Due to the nature of our office environment, being dynamic and having a diverse set of skills is essential. Duties will include:
- Support with day-to-day maintenance of the garden (including watering, weeding, planting etc…)
- Support with the organisation of community gardening sessions
- Support with the organisation and coordination of events, including our weekly youth hub, outreach efforts, workshops and other activities
- Assisting during events (many of which are during the evening or on the weekend) including hosting, coordination and supporting with facilitation
- General tasks related to the day-to-day running of the organisation that can be of interest of the volunteer
The candidate should have at least a degree level of education. Knowledge of EU affairs and experience with EU projects will be considered an asset.
- Aged 18-30 (ESC requirement)
- A citizen of one of the partner or programme countries (ESC requirement – preferably from the EU, Hungary, Ukraine, Russia and Turkey though other countries may be assessed on one to one basis)
- Organisational skills when coordinating events including sourcing materials, organising workshops and activities.
- Strong interest in environment and sustainability topics.
- An array of outdoor experience including gardening, garden maintenance and manual labour,
- Background knowledge on permaculture, agroecology or organic farming.
- Ability to work in collaborative decision-making processes and have excellent people and communication skills.
- Affinity with the vision and values of Friends of the Earth Malta.
The European Solidarity Corps programme will provide you:
- Accommodation in a shared room close to our offices in Floriana
- Coverage of all living costs such as electricity, water, gas, and internet
- Reimbursement of the flight and other transport to/from Malta, up to a certain limit
- Monthly allowance
- Private Henner insurance
- In case of disabilities, funding is available for support (e.g. interpreters)
Send your application by filling in the online application form by noon Wednesday 17th January 2024. Eligible candidates will be invited to an interview (either in person or online) the following week. Friends of the Earth’s recruitment and selection procedure is firmly based on equal opportunities best practices.