Friends of the Earth Malta (FoEM) is looking for a Communication and Campaigning Volunteer as part of our communications team. This is a European Solidarity Corp (ERASMUS+/ESC) volunteering for 6 months, ideally starting from November 2023, although this can be negotiable. You will be working in collaboration with the FoE Malta team and will be line managed by the Communications Officer and Director. Travel and accommodation costs will be reimbursed as part of the ESC programme.
FoEM is involved in various projects and campaigns which require support with their communications and events organising. The volunteer will be involved in FoEM communications team and will be able to grow their interest and expertise in the field. FoEM will offer the volunteer a unique opportunity to carry on an innovative set of tasks, allowing the volunteer to share their creativity and experience.
You will be responsible for achieving the goals set for the duration of 6 months as part of our team, together with other staff members and volunteers. Due to the nature of our office environment, being dynamic and having a diverse set of skills is essential. Duties will include:
- Support with the implementation of a Communications Strategy and internal policies
- Support in the development of effective communication campaigns through social and traditional media for various campaign areas, including the Climate, Food & Agriculture, Resource Use, and Active Citizens and Democracy campaign
- Keeping online media up to date including updating the FoE Malta website and other social media (Twitter, FB, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube & LinkedIn)
- Assisting in writing press releases and statements and in generating coverage across traditional and new media for FoE Malta’s work
- Preparing and distributing info materials at stalls, fairs, events and in other public activities to inform the general public about environmental issues in Malta and encouraging them to contribute as volunteers or supporters
- Organising and coordinating a calendar of events and keeping an accurate record for statistical and evaluation purposes
- Designing FoEMalta’s printed and web-based materials including promotional leaflets, banners, logos and educational materials
- Editing photographs to be used in internal and external communication
- General tasks related to the day-to-day running of the organisation that can be of interest of the volunteer
The candidate should have at least a degree level of education. Knowledge of EU affairs and experience with EU projects will be considered an asset.
- Aged 18-30 (ESC requirement)
- A citizen of one of the partner or programme countries (ESC requirement – preferably from Hungary, Ukraine, Russia and Turkey though other countries may be assessed on one to one basis)
- Organisational skills when developing communication timelines and dissemination plans.
- Strong interest in environment and sustainability topics
- An array of digital skills that can be further used for future work opportunities, including: Web design and editing (preference to wordpress), Social media communications skills, graphic design competencies, public speaking and statistical reporting for outreach and campaign effectiveness
- Ability to work in collaborative decision-making processes and have excellent people and communication skills.
- Affinity with the vision and values of Friends of the Earth Malta.
The European Solidarity Corps programme will provide you:
- Accommodation in a shared room close to our offices in Floriana
- Coverage of all living costs such as electricity, water, gas, and internet
- Reimbursement of the flight and other transport to/from Malta, up to a certain limit
- Monthly allowance
- Private Henner insurance
- In case of disabilities, funding is available for support (e.g. interpreters)
Send your application by filling in the online application form by noon Monday 28th August 2023. Eligible candidates will be invited to an interview (either in person or online) the following week. Friends of the Earth’s recruitment and selection procedure is firmly based on equal opportunities best practices.