Friends of the Earth Malta (FoEM) is looking for a Nature, Food and Agro-ecology volunteer as part of our campaign team. This is a European Solidarity Corp (ERASMUS+/ESC) volunteering for 12 months, ideally starting from October 2022, although this can be negotiable. You will be working in collaboration with the FoE Malta team and will be line-managed by the Food, Nature and Biodiversity campaign coordinator. Travel and accommodation costs will be reimbursed as part of the ESC programme.
One of FoEM’s main campaigns focus on food, agriculture, biodiversity and Nature. This is one of FoEM’s biggest campaigns since it focuses on policy work in relation to agriculture and biodiversity, educational activities related to food production and consumption, citizen science to research the bee population, citizen actions such as community gardening, and workshops with youth and in schools on various aspects related to nature gardens, food waste, composting etc. FoEM campaigns for the right for people to have physical and economic access to sufficient, safe, and nutritious food. FoEM also takes a nature and biodiversity approach to food production and believes people are at the heart of a holistic rural environment.
The volunteer will be involved in FoEM work and will be able to grow their interest and expertise in the field. FoEM will offer the volunteer a unique opportunity to carry on an innovative set of tasks, allowing the volunteer to share their creativity and experience, which will eventually be integrated into policy proposals for the transition to a circular economy and a just economic system.
You will be responsible for achieving the goals set for the duration of 12 months as part of our team, together with other staff members and volunteers. Due to the nature of our office environment, being dynamic and having a diverse set of skills is essential. Duties will include:
- Organising and participating in monitoring and recording flora and fauna
- Assisting in manual work that may include the upkeep of community gardens, planting and maintaining trees and other flora
- Supporting in the planning and creation of new green space, community garden initiative, and pollinator areas
- Support work on policies recommendations linked to pollinators and nature protection
- Supporting the organisation of general public events and family events and the organisation of the project activities including workshops and training events
- Assisting with the development of new resources, ideas and activities
- Promoting outdoor learning and sustainable living
- Developing and delivering FoE informal/non-formal education work around this campaign area
- General tasks related to the day-to-day running of the organisation that can be of interest of the volunteer.
The candidate should have at least a degree level of education in a related field of studies. Knowledge of EU affairs and experience with EU projects will be considered an asset.
- Aged 18-30 (ESC requirement)
- A citizen of one of the partner or programme countries (ESC requirement)
- Understanding of permaculture, agro-ecology, urban gardening and holistic farming practices.
- Strong interest in environment and sustainability topics
- Policy understanding and report writing skills – Understanding of EU Policies such as CAP and Farm to Fork.
- Activity planning and management skills
- Research skills in flora and fauna monitoring
- Ability to work in collaborative decision-making processes and have excellent people and communication skills.
- Affinity with the vision and values of Friends of the Earth Malta.
The European Solidarity Corps programme will provide you:
- Accommodation in a shared room close to our offices in Floriana, or with host families
- Coverage of all living costs such as electricity, water, gas, and internet
- Reimbursement of the flight and other transport to/from Malta, up to a certain limit
- Monthly allowance
- Private CIGNA insurance
- In case of disabilities, funding is available for support (e.g. interpreters)
Send your application by filling in the online application form by noon Monday 03rd October 2022. Eligible candidates will be invited to an interview (either in person or online) the following week. Friends of the Earth’s recruitment and selection procedure is firmly based on equal opportunities best practices.